Serving Blacksburg, Christiansburg & NRV since 1990
The insurance year ends June 30th for VT and some other local employers. If you have a Flexible Benefit Account, be sure to Use It, so you don't Lose It. We can help if you have any questions. We offer the latest in Contact Lens and Eyewear Technology and you won't find more knowledgeable, helpful and friendly staff members anywhere. We'll help you see your best and look your best.
Fran's still even baking cookies for everyone. Come on in. You'll be glad you did!!
At Dr. Steve Jacobs, Optometrist, it's our mission to keep the eyes of Blacksburg and the NRV healthy, seeing clearly and looking great. Whether you need sunglasses, anti-allergy eye drops, the latest in contact lenses, or just want to have fun trying on our great selection of eyeglasses, we're the eye doctors to see in Blacksburg, VA!!!
Help us say "Mission Accomplished"
We're right across from the Virginia Tech campus at 620 N Main.
We feature Crizal Anti-Reflection lenses, Silhouette Eyewear and the whole family of Alcon-Ciba contact lenses, among other hi-tech and top quality lines.
Q&A with Dr. J
Dr. Steve Jacobs Answers Your Eyecare Questions
What causes nearsightedness and can anything be done about it?
Nearsightedness, also known as myopia, results when light entering the eye from far away focuses in front of, rather than on the back of the eye. In essence, the nearsighted eye is longer than it should be. Myopia in the US has nearly doubled since the ‘70s, most often developing during the elementary school years. An association between excessive near visual activities and myopia has been assumed for a long time. Recently however, studies have shown that rather than being related to too much close work, it seems to be more influenced by decreases in time spent outside. Something about the focusing required when playing outdoors, or the exposure to the much brighter light outside, reduces signals to make the eye grow longer. Nothing can be done to turn back the clock, but certain contact lenses may be able to change the way light is focused and slow down myopic progression. More on this next time.
Read Dr. Jacobs' latest article in the New River Valley magazine on " Summertime, and the seeing is easy…."
Find out more about our Blacksburg Eye Clinic:
- Eye Exam in Blacksburg - schedule an appointment online
- Meet our Blacksburg Optometrists
- Meet our Eye Care Team
- Check Out our Online Eye Art Gallery
- Ask our Eye Doctor a Question
- Find maps and directions to our Blacksburg Eye Clinic (serving Christiansburg, Radford and the New River Valley).
- Review our Vision Insurance Information that Dr. Jacobs accepts
- Review our Practice on Google+ and leave us a message.
News & Events
- Aug 2, 2015 - Summertime, and the Seeing is Easy
- Jul 30, 2015 - Guidelines For Picking the Right Pair of Shades
- Jul 26, 2015 - We now carry Scleral contact lenses!
- Jul 24, 2015 - 6 Things You Need To Know About Cataracts
- Jun 30, 2015 - Happy June - 2015!
- May 29, 2015 - 5 Ways to Ensure Healthy Vision
- May 17, 2015 - Happy May 2015!
- May 17, 2015 - What Women Need to Know About Eye Health
- Jan 5, 2015 - Best of Blacksburg Raffle - Congratulations and Thank Yous
These great local businesses helped us raise $1400 for Valley Interfaith Child Care Center and NRV Cares. Please give them a hand, and your support. More »
- Dec 23, 2014 - Check out or latest newsletter - Happy December 2014
- Oct 29, 2014 - Best of Blacksburg Raffle News
Best of Blacksburg Raffle is in full swing. 30+ local businesses have donated close to $1000 in items. All proceeds go to VICCC and NRV Cares. Come and get your tickets.More »