Serving Blacksburg, Christiansburg & NRV since 1990
As we've mentioned, our Trunk Show was a great success, raising $560 for both
NRV Cares and VICCC. Our Best of Blacksburg Raffle did pretty well too, raising another $700+ for each groupl and their vital programs
Thank you to all the local businesses who donated items and to everyone who contributed !
At Dr. Steve Jacobs, Optometrist, it's our mission to keep the eyes of Blacksburg and the NRV healthy, seeing clearly and looking great. Whether you need sunglasses, anti-allergy eye drops, the latest in contact lenses, or just want to have fun trying on our great selection of eyeglasses, we're the eye doctors to see in Blacksburg, VA!!!
Help us say "Mission Accomplished"
We're right across from the Virginia Tech campus at 620 N Main.
We feature Crizal Anti-Reflection lenses, Silhouette Eyewear and the whole family of Alcon-Ciba contact lenses, among other hi-tech and top quality lines.
Q&A with Dr. J
Dr. Steve Jacobs Answers Your Eyecare Questions
Why do some animals see better than people at night?
A cat is a good example. Although, even with a cat there has to be some light. (A few animals, such as snakes, can actually see prey in, what is to humans, complete darkness by the heat they give off.) A couple of parts of cats eyes are responsible for their excellent night vision. There are two types of cells in the eye that respond to light, rods and cones. Cones help people see colors and details, but need a certain amount of light to do this, whereas rods are stimulated by much less light. Cats do not have cones, and so do not see in color or with much detail, but are more responsive to movement even in dim surroundings (which comes in very handy if you want to see a mouse scurry across the kitchen floor at midnight). Also, the inside of cats eyes are lined with a shiny surface which amplifies any light that comes in further allowing them to see in the (almost) dark.
Find out more about our Blacksburg Eye Clinic:
- Eye Exam in Blacksburg - schedule an appointment online
- Meet our Blacksburg Optometrists
- Meet our Eye Care Team
- Check Out our Online Eye Art Gallery
- Ask our Eye Doctor a Question
- Find maps and directions to our Blacksburg Eye Clinic (serving Christiansburg, Radford and the New River Valley).
- Review our Vision Insurance Information that Dr. Jacobs accepts
- Review our Practice on Google+ and leave us a message.
News & Events
- Feb 12, 2015 - Living With Low Vision
- Jan 27, 2015 - Under Pressure: Are you at Risk for Glaucoma?
- Jan 5, 2015 - Best of Blacksburg Raffle - Congratulations and Thank Yous
These great local businesses helped us raise $1400 for Valley Interfaith Child Care Center and NRV Cares. Please give them a hand, and your support. More »
- Dec 31, 2014 - Know How and When to Treat an Eye Infection
- Dec 23, 2014 - Check out or latest newsletter - Happy December 2014
- Oct 29, 2014 - Best of Blacksburg Raffle News
Best of Blacksburg Raffle is in full swing. 30+ local businesses have donated close to $1000 in items. All proceeds go to VICCC and NRV Cares. Come and get your tickets.More »