Serving Blacksburg, Christiansburg & NRV since 1990
Thank you to all who made our 8th Annual Eyewear Trunk Show and Local Charity Fundraiser a great success!
We had a busy day, a ton of fun, and with your donations and our match, will be writing checks for over $700 to both NRV Cares and VICCC, two local, child oriented non-profits serving some of the most vulnerable members of our community.
At Dr. Steve Jacobs, Optometrist, it's our mission to keep the eyes of Blacksburg and the NRV healthy, seeing clearly and looking great. Whether you need sunglasses, anti-allergy eye drops, the latest in contact lenses, or just want to have fun trying on our great selection of eyeglasses, we're the eye doctors to see in Blacksburg, VA!!!
Help us say "Mission Accomplished"
We're right across from the Virginia Tech campus at 620 N Main.
We feature Crizal Anti-Reflection lenses, Silhouette Eyewear and the whole family of Alcon-Ciba contact lenses, among other hi-tech and top quality lines.
Q&A with Dr. J
Dr. Steve Jacobs Answers Your Eyecare Questions
My eyes sometimes feel dry. What is going on and what is the best way to treat it?
Dry Eye is a very common condition, and with our society's emphasis on work with computers and other devices, becoming more common each year. When you're concentrating, such as with driving and all sorts of near work, there's a tendency to blink less often. This makes the eye dry and triggers an immune response further reducing the eye's moisture level. Over years, what started as a minor inconvenience can have a real impact on quality of life. Besides discomfort, eye dryness can lead to surface inflammation, increase infection risk and significantly affect vision. Drops can provide partial, temporary relief, but only if they are the right ones. Many, especially store brand, artificial tears are preserved with BAK, and can make symptoms worse if used regularly. Surprisingly, dry eyes are more often due to poor tear quality, particularly the oil component which prevents tears from evaporating, than poor tear quantity. Here are a few things that may help.
- 20/20/20 Rule - when reading or on a computer, every 20 minutes take a 20 second break and look 20 feet away. This forces you to blink a few times, re-establishes your tear layer and prevents the eyes from locking in on one focus and straining.
- Omega 3 fatty acids - found particularly in fish oils - when taken regularly, these can improve the functioning of the glands in the lids which produce oils to coat the tears.
- Drops, such as Systane or Refresh brands being 2 good ones, can keep the eyes more moist and comfortable when used at the beginning of a prolonged near work session, and up to a few times more through the day.
- A new kind of warm compress or mask is now available and very easy to use. Possessing beads which absorb moisture from the atmosphere, the mask is placed in the microwave for 20 -30 seconds and then attached over the eyes with its Velcro band. The heat melts and releases oils from glands in the lids, and enhances blood flow to the glands improving their everyday function. After 10 or 15 minutes the eyes feel very moist - but will be a little blurry for a while.
- Restasis - a prescription drop, used twice a day, Restasis increases natural tearing. It feels good right away but takes two to three months to become fully effective.
Read Dr. Jacobs' latest article in New River Valley magazine "Summertime, and the seeing is easy…."
Find out more about our Blacksburg Eye Clinic:
- Eye Exam in Blacksburg - schedule an appointment online
- Meet our Blacksburg Optometrists
- Meet our Eye Care Team
- Check Out our Online Eye Art Gallery
- Ask our Eye Doctor a Question
- Find maps and directions to our Blacksburg Eye Clinic (serving Christiansburg, Radford and the New River Valley).
- Review our Vision Insurance Information that Dr. Jacobs accepts
- Review our Practice on Google+ and leave us a message.
News & Events
- Nov 23, 2015 - How Do We See?
Have you ever thought about how vision works? It's an incredible system and process! More »
- Nov 2, 2015 - How to Prevent Diabetic Vision Loss
Prevention and treatment for eye complications associated with Diabetes More »
- Oct 25, 2015 - Decorative Lenses Could Cost You Your Vision
- Oct 18, 2015 - Happy September - 2015