Serving Blacksburg, Christiansburg
and the NRV since 1990
and the NRV since 1990
Voting set to begin (wk of 7/21) in our Facebook - Frame Fashion Contest. Support your Fave and help her (or him) winn $100 gift card.
At Dr. Steve Jacobs, Optometrist, it's our mission to keep the eyes of Blacksburg and the NRV healthy, seeing clearly and looking great. Whether you need sunglasses, anti-allergy eye drops, the latest in contact lenses, or just want to have fun trying on our great selection of eyeglasses, we're the eye doctors to see in Blacksburg, VA!!!
Help us say "Mission Accomplished" Schedule an eye exam today!!
We're right across from the Virginia Tech campus at 620 N Main.
We feature Crizal Anti-Reflection lenses, Silhouette Eyewear and the whole family of Alcon-Ciba contact lenses, among other hi-tech and top quality lines.
Q&A with Dr. J
Dr. Jacobs Answers Your Eyecare Questions
Q. – What does it mean to have a “lazy eye”?
A. – “Lazy eye” refers to a condition known as amblyopia, where acuity is reduced even with the best prescription lens, and when there is no injury or other physical defect. It develops when the eye doesn’t ‘learn’ how to see clearly from birth or a very early age. The two most common causes of amblyopia are an eye turn (strabismus) or when the two eyes have very different powers. If one eye constantly turns out or in, the brain will sort of shut it off to prevent double vision. If this occurs for a long enough time, that eye will never learn how to see properly even with glasses or contact lenses later on. Or if one eye’s vision is always blurred, it also may never be able to see clearly even with a prescription. The sooner amblyopia is discovered the more likely treatments can help. Since it’s not always obvious, it’s important that children see an eye care professional for an exam by four or five years old. Earlier is even better. A lot of information can be gained through an exam at 6 months to a year (more on that in another post), and this may help prevent a problem before it becomes permanent.
Find out more about our Blackburg eye clinic:
- Eye Exam in Blacksburg - schedule an appointment online
- Meet our Blacksburg Optometrist
- Meet our Eye Care Team
- Check Out our Online Eye Art Gallery
- Ask our Eye Doctor a Question
- Find maps and directions to our Blacksburg Eye Clinic (serving Christiansburg, Radford and the New River Valley).
- Review our Vision Insurance Information that Dr. Jacobs accpets
- Review our Practice on Google+ and leave us a message.
News & Events
- Jul 17, 2014 - Should You Be Worried About Eye Floaters?
- Jun 30, 2014 - NRV Leading Lights Community Service Award for Dr. Jacobs
- Jun 29, 2014 - Keeping an Eye on Cataracts
- Jun 24, 2014 - Air Optix Colors
- Feb 12, 2014 - Don't let this happen to you - Take care of your eyes!!!
Eye infections don't care if you're a pre-schooler, a college student, a Mom,....... or even Bob Costas covering the Olympics for millions of viewers! More »
- Dec 3, 2013 - From our young friends at B.U.M.P.
I love sharing the story and song of Busy Lizzie with pre-scool and early elementary classes. And I love when they share things with us. Enjoy these Thanksgiving cooking tips from Ms. Leslie's 4 and 5 year olds at BUMP. More »
- Oct 4, 2013 - Some Whats and Whys of the Eyes
Dr. Steve Jacobs' most recent article in series on children's vision, in NRV Macaroni Kid newsletter. More »
- Sep 13, 2013 - 6th Annual Trunk Show and Local Charity Fundraiser and Best of Blacksburg Raffle
Fashion, Fun, Food and Fundraising - An event not to be missed!!! More »