Serving Blacksburg, Christiansburg & NRV since 1990
As we've mentioned, our Trunk Show was a great success, raising $560 for both
NRV Cares and VICCC. Our Best of Blacksburg Raffle did pretty well too, raising another $700+ for each groupl and their vital programs
Thank you to all the local businesses who donated items and to everyone who contributed !
At Dr. Steve Jacobs, Optometrist, it's our mission to keep the eyes of Blacksburg and the NRV healthy, seeing clearly and looking great. Whether you need sunglasses, anti-allergy eye drops, the latest in contact lenses, or just want to have fun trying on our great selection of eyeglasses, we're the eye doctors to see in Blacksburg, VA!!!
Help us say "Mission Accomplished"
We're right across from the Virginia Tech campus at 620 N Main.
We feature Crizal Anti-Reflection lenses, Silhouette Eyewear and the whole family of Alcon-Ciba contact lenses, among other hi-tech and top quality lines.
Q&A with Dr. J
Dr. Steve Jacobs Answers Your Eyecare Questions
Are computers dangerous for the eyes?
Let’s just say computers and other electronic devices aren’t the eyes’ best friends. They may lead to more nearsightedness (myopia), eyestrain and dry eye, and over years, increase the chance of macular degeneration. Research indicates nearsightedness has increased dramatically since the 1970s. As children spend more of their leisure time on devices, it is usually at the expense of outdoor activities, and more outdoor time is related to less myopia. Dry eye may not sound like a big deal… until you have it. It decreases visual efficiency, makes driving more difficult, and increases the chance of eye infections, besides being uncomfortable. Sustained concentration when working with screens decreases blinking and adds to dry eye. New research now also indicates that the high energy visible (HEV) blue light associated with LEDs may damage cells in the back of the eye. Over the course of many years, this may add to the incidence of macular degeneration, a leading cause of vision loss as one ages. We can’t (or, at least, won’t) throw away our computers, tablets and phones, but there are ways to reduce the problems they may cause. More on this in the coming months.
Find out more about our Blacksburg Eye Clinic:
- Eye Exam in Blacksburg - schedule an appointment online
- Meet our Blacksburg Optometrists
- Meet our Eye Care Team
- Check Out our Online Eye Art Gallery
- Ask our Eye Doctor a Question
- Find maps and directions to our Blacksburg Eye Clinic (serving Christiansburg, Radford and the New River Valley).
- Review our Vision Insurance Information that Dr. Jacobs accepts
- Review our Practice on Google+ and leave us a message.
News & Events
- Apr 30, 2015 - Enjoying Life During Eye Allergy Season
- Mar 31, 2015 - Can you Really Go Blind from Looking at a Solar Eclipse?
- Mar 19, 2015 - 10 Steps to Prevent Vision Loss
- Jan 5, 2015 - Best of Blacksburg Raffle - Congratulations and Thank Yous
These great local businesses helped us raise $1400 for Valley Interfaith Child Care Center and NRV Cares. Please give them a hand, and your support. More »
- Dec 23, 2014 - Check out or latest newsletter - Happy December 2014
- Oct 29, 2014 - Best of Blacksburg Raffle News
Best of Blacksburg Raffle is in full swing. 30+ local businesses have donated close to $1000 in items. All proceeds go to VICCC and NRV Cares. Come and get your tickets.More »