Serving Blacksburg, Christiansburg & NRV since 1990
The insurance year ends June 30th for VT and some other local employers. If you have a Flexible Benefit Account, be sure to Use It, so you don't Lose It. We can help if you have any questions. We offer the latest in Contact Lens and Eyewear Technology and you won't find more knowledgeable, helpful and friendly staff members anywhere. We'll help you see your best and look your best.
Fran's still even baking cookies for everyone. Come on in. You'll be glad you did!!
At Dr. Steve Jacobs, Optometrist, it's our mission to keep the eyes of Blacksburg and the NRV healthy, seeing clearly and looking great. Whether you need sunglasses, anti-allergy eye drops, the latest in contact lenses, or just want to have fun trying on our great selection of eyeglasses, we're the eye doctors to see in Blacksburg, VA!!!
Help us say "Mission Accomplished"
We're right across from the Virginia Tech campus at 620 N Main.
We feature Crizal Anti-Reflection lenses, Silhouette Eyewear and the whole family of Alcon-Ciba contact lenses, among other hi-tech and top quality lines.
Q&A with Dr. J
Dr. Steve Jacobs Answers Your Eyecare Questions
Is there any real “Treatment” for nearsightedness?
So far, not much, but it’s certainly being studied since we are in an epidemic of nearsightedness or myopia. Besides needing to wear glasses, increased myopia is associated with higher risks of glaucoma, macular degeneration and other retinal problems as one ages. “Eye exercises” may improve focusing efficiency and various aspects of visual perception, but have never been shown effective in reducing or slowing myopia. Glasses compensate and make things clearer but also aren’t “corrective”. Laser eye surgery (LASIK) can correct myopia, but only after it has occurred and stabilized. It doesn’t reduce the eye health risks of myopia, and carries certain risks of its own.
On the positive side, recent research indicates that more outdoor time during the childhood years when myopia typically develops is related to less nearsightedness, even if children read a lot when inside. Nobody knows exactly why this is so yet, but it may be related to the bright light of outdoors and/or the different focusing demands when outdoors versus in. Studies have also shown that specifics of how light is focused on the back of the eye may induce the eye to grow and become more nearsighted. New contact lens designs and fitting protocols are being developed to slow this down. We’ll certainly hear more about this and other approaches in the next few years.
Read Dr. Jacobs' latest article in the New River Valley magazine on " Summertime, and the seeing is easy…."
Find out more about our Blacksburg Eye Clinic:
- Eye Exam in Blacksburg - schedule an appointment online
- Meet our Blacksburg Optometrists
- Meet our Eye Care Team
- Check Out our Online Eye Art Gallery
- Ask our Eye Doctor a Question
- Find maps and directions to our Blacksburg Eye Clinic (serving Christiansburg, Radford and the New River Valley).
- Review our Vision Insurance Information that Dr. Jacobs accepts
- Review our Practice on Google+ and leave us a message.
News & Events
- Aug 30, 2015 - How Pregnancy Affects Vision
- Aug 16, 2015 - Is Your Baby’s EyeSight Developing Normally?
- Aug 2, 2015 - Summertime, and the Seeing is Easy
- Jul 30, 2015 - Guidelines For Picking the Right Pair of Shades
- Jul 26, 2015 - We now carry Scleral contact lenses!
- Jun 30, 2015 - Happy June - 2015!
- May 17, 2015 - Happy May 2015!
- Jan 5, 2015 - Best of Blacksburg Raffle - Congratulations and Thank Yous
These great local businesses helped us raise $1400 for Valley Interfaith Child Care Center and NRV Cares. Please give them a hand, and your support. More »
- Dec 23, 2014 - Check out or latest newsletter - Happy December 2014
- Oct 29, 2014 - Best of Blacksburg Raffle News
Best of Blacksburg Raffle is in full swing. 30+ local businesses have donated close to $1000 in items. All proceeds go to VICCC and NRV Cares. Come and get your tickets.More »